Side Hustle Ideas For Moms With Kids in Tow
Everywhere I look, bloggers and podcasters are recommending various side hustle ideas as the fastest way to financial freedom and early retirement.
They're not wrong, but as a stay at home mom myself, my first thought is What would I do with my son?
It's hard not to feel frustrated. Side hustling was a lot easier when I didn't have kids!
Are you in the same boat?
Let me take some pressure off of you, mama. There are a lot of side hustles you can do when you have kids in tow, and many of them are quite profitable!
Let's take a look at my top five lucrative side hustle ideas for moms.
1. Take On Some Freelance Writing Gigs
Freelance writing is a side hustle I'd recommend to almost any mom who wants to work from home (or a nice cafe!)
Let me give you the rundown on why I think this is such a great side hustle for moms:
- Freelance writing tends to pay pretty well
- Your schedule is flexible, so you can choose your hours
- It's location independent, so you don't need to live near a major city to get jobs
- You don't need a college education or specific degree for this side hustle
- It's a relatively easy field to get into, especially if you have specialized knowledge
If you think you might want to become a freelance writer, this is a fantastic article I found that really breaks down the ins and out from someone who has been there.
2. Teaching English Online
Teaching English online can be a very lucrative side hustle, and it's perfect for moms who have kids at home. Many teaching platforms pay $22 per hour or more. If you can fit in a couple of classes a day, you'll be speeding along towards meeting your financial goals.
Here are a few of the pros to becoming an online English tutor:
- This side hustle typically pays $20 per hour or more
- Online tutoring platforms make connecting with families much easier than trying to find them yourself
- The job is location independent, so you can live anywhere in the world
- Platforms like Magic Ears give you the teaching materials you'll need
- You get to work with kids!
Of course, teaching English online isn't all sunshine and rainbows. There are a few things to keep in mind before you launch into this new side hustle. For example:
- You'll likely need a bachelor's degree to be eligible (any degree will do)
- You may need to work very late at night or early in the morning to accommodate the time difference
- You get to work with kids.
3. Become a Nanny or Childcare Provider
Do you like kids and have patience for days? If so, this just might be the perfect side hustle for you!
In many cities around the US, child care services are desperately in demand.
In Seattle where I live, for example, child care is so hard to find that people tend to get on daycare wait lists before they are even pregnant, and often don't receive a spot until their child is around 2 years old. It's competitive out there y'all.
Let's get to the pros and cons.
- If you are close to a major city, child care tends to pay very well!
- Your kid(s) will have new friends to play with regularly
- You don't need to change your schedule much
- Caring for kids can be emotionally exhausting and difficult day to day
- Your child might get sick a little more often with another kid around
- You'll likely need to give lots of notice if you want to take a vacation
4. Become A Blogger
This one's my favorite, because I'm a blogger too and I love it!
If you have a creative streak and basically any hobby you'd like to talk about, you can start a blog and make money from it.
How exactly do bloggers make money?
There are quite a few different ways that bloggers make money with their blogs, and you can pick and choose the methods that you feel most excited about. Here are a few examples of how bloggers make money:
- Placing ads on their website
- Creating their own digital courses and ebooks
- Writing sponsored content
- Getting commissions from affiliate sales
- Live events and seminars
If you'd like a more in-depth analysis of how bloggers make money, check out my blog post The Complete Guide to How Bloggers Make Money
As you can see, there are some really great ways to make money from an online blog. Creating your own products tends to be one of the most lucrative, and I think also the most fun!
Related Post- The Ultimate Guide to Creating A Profitable Blog
If you have kids around your ankles 24/7 (that’s me!), it’s still possible to squeeze in a side hustle if you want to make extra money.
Here are some of the best side hustle ideas for moms:
Become a freelance writer
Teach English online
Provide childcare services
Become a blogger
How Women Are Reaching Financial Freedom Faster Than Ever
Have you dreamed of becoming financially free... this year? This 7 day free guided challenge is your one stop shop for completely making over your money in a fun, exciting way. Join hundreds of other women now by signing up for the Makeover Your Money challenge!